Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ziggy Bowdust ...


bowdust
[boh duhst]
n., the white chalk-like detritus of dry and flaky skin that often covers the surface area of the elbow; the word "ashy" is often used colloquially to describe a state of uniform bowdust coverage.

"I was on the roof last weekend cleaning out the gutters, when the ladder slipped out from under me. Instead of falling straight back, my slow-motion sideways descent through me right into a thicket of thorn-covered bushes. I wasn't hurt too bad, but I had what seemed like 100,000 scrapes on my arms and forearms. I went upstairs to wash off and check out the damage. I lifted my arms and looked and washed off the cuts. I must not have looked at my elbows in several months, because there was a snow-white layer of bowdust covering my elbow"

In many ways, bowdust is an inevitable byproduct of the aging process. A number of factors conspire to turn your smooth, supple elbows into concentric circle-like wrinkles around a patch of ashy, flaky skin. As its elasticity drops over time, the skin around your elbows bunches up, and the tips of your elbows can become darker as layers of dead, dry skin start to accumulate.

Creams, exfoliation and lotion can help, but ultimately the bowdust wins out. Tyra Banks obsesses about her bowdust so much, that she'll use lip gloss or Chapstick for a quick fix

Odds and Ends:

Here are some tips on getting rid of "ashy elbow forever."

Check out this blog for a humorous Homeland Security-style elbow sandpaper ratings system.

Check out these barons of bowdust, Brooklyn-based hip hop band Ashy L Bowz. You can download their album "No Lotion" off of I-Tunes

No comments:

Powered By Blogger