- Bending at the knee to lament a putt's narrow miss
- Visually scanning the crowd/caddies/fellow players for sympathetic facial expressions
- Standing in place for several seconds with hands akimbo
- Flipping the putter
- Telekinetic use of body english
- Exaggerated facial expressions (vary, stern and even sometimes sheepish)
After finally conceding that a putt is missed, it is customary for a puttrified golfer to grudgingly accept the gallery's congratulatory applause, tip his cap and resign himself to mere mortality.